AUGUST 7, 2018 | USA TODAY | Elizabeth Weise

Critics of the cleanup say the world should “prioritize halting the flow of plastics into the ocean” … and that “there’s not much point to cleaning up the mess unless we also stop the tons of plastic entering the oceans each day” and “Stopping plastics from making their way into the oceans “should be the focus of 95 percent of our current effort, with the remaining 5 percent on clean up” and “the project only targets plastic pollution floating at the top of the ocean, although researchers have found microplastics from the waves all the way down to the sea floor.”

Read the full article here.